Thursday, August 6, 2009

The "Pre-Planned" Wedding


As I was saying in my first post: most brides don’t book a wedding date before the actual proposal.

This is why I am different than most brides. You are probably wondering why I had a wedding date when I wasn’t even engaged. Well, the future hubby moves at his own pace…which it turns out was a little too slow for me. We started looking at rings last May and neither of us was in a rush to be engaged. This May (yes a whole year after picking out the ring) we went back to visit my sparkly princess cut and to my surprise Brett decided to take the plunge right then and there. We were making progress; we had a ring but no proposal.

Even though it might not seem like it Brett and I are pretty traditional in our thinking. He wanted to do things right, ask my dad, surprise me, get down on one knee, the whole nine yards. I wanted a proposal story that didn’t include me crying in the jewelry store. So I waited patiently, not telling anyone that we had the ring and that I was just waiting to get it. It was killing me!

After about a month of waiting I couldn’t just sit around anymore. I figured he would pop the question at some point so what was the harm in a little pre-planning, right? I started looking at venues, photographers, dresses and cakes. After a little light reading of bridal magazines I realized that if I wanted to get married in 2010 we better get this show on the road. But I would never dream of pushing for a proposal or telling him he had to propose now. Instead I would just plan the wedding and wait for the proposal. I know…a lot less controlling, right?

In the pre-planning I found a gorgeous church (pictured above) and an urban venue that I HAD to have and both were booking very quickly with no ring in sight! This is when I took matters into my own hands and asked my future fiancé if I could start planning before he actually asked. Most guys would look at me like I had four heads but he just laughed and said that as long as he didn’t have to go along to see 40 different venues that was fine. I was then off booking my locations, perusing through catalogs of favors, searching the knot, and reading blogs. I was in full blown bridal obsession mode.

Then July 24th (our wedding date) rolled around and I was snapped out of my peony, A-line, colored shoe haze and realized that the wedding was just a year away and no one even knew I was planning it!

The next day I got the ring. This story will follow later! Now I am no longer counting down the days in silence and can’t wait to share all of the fun that goes into wedding planning! Hence the title of this little blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment